Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Screenplay - Finding the Cure for Boredom [scene 1]

Scene 1




The stage is black until Ana turns on her light then the right half lights up. Ana’s room is small and dark purple studio lights over her vanity. She has a loft bed with a computer and bean bag chair underneath shaded by a beaded curtain of metallic silver. She has a large window with an easel next to it and a bookcase with all of her writing and art supplies. She has a phone on her dresser.



Ana: (climbs down from her bed after lighting her candle and sat on her vanity chair) –sighs- Summer is dumb. I can’t believe I just slept in until 8 a.m. I’m so bored…(she turns toward the mirror and looks at the phone) Maybe I should call Rae, she’s probably just as bored as I am. (she picks up the phone, dials the number and waits)



The second half of the stage lights up. Rae’s room is big. The walls are painted a cream color with a thick red and a thin black stripe going through the whole room. There’s a black desk sitting in front of two windows. Its surface is cluttered with notebooks, loose papers and pens. A laptop is buried under some papers. To the right of the desk is a bookshelf overflowing with books. There is a sofa-bed with a red and black striped mattress. A red swivel chair sits in front of the desk. A small dresser sits by the bed. A small bedside lamp and a phone sits on top.



Rae: (sitting on her couch with a notebook and a pen in her mouth) Ugh! Summer is getting to me. I have writer’s block! (takes a pen out of mouth and stares at it) Why can’t you just write your own story? ( the phone rings and she jumps. She composes herself then reaches behind her for the phone) Hello lucky caller. You have reached Rae in an immaculate mood. Beware!



Ana: Well ma’am, I’d like to order an orange chicken with fried rice…(coughs twice) Um…to go.



Rae: What?! (looks at phone) Who is this? I demand a recount!



Ana: I WANT MY MONEY BACK! WHERE’S MY PIZZA!?



Rae: What?! What are you—Ana! Is this you!!



Ana: I love you, Rae!



Rae: You dork. What’s up my fine, feathered friend?



Ana: Me! Because I have feathers and I can fly! Unless…unless I’m a kiwi…what about you my…I don’t know…you have scales today! How are you!



Rae: So I’m either a fish or a reptile…hmmm. Anyways, back to reality. I have writer’s block and I’m extremely bored.



Ana: Me too! Painter’s and writer’s block! I can’t even splatter paint and that doesn’t take brain power!



Rae: Wow… I do believe this is the most boring summer ever!

Ana: I agree completely. ( Ana walks into the bathroom and starts brushing her teeth out of nowhere)



Rae: Ana! What’s that noise?



Ana: Wah-wa-shee-wa-beef! (she gargles)



Rae: Chewbacca? Is that you?



Ana:Wooooo-wo-wo-why-wed-wa-wa-shee-wa-beef! Wa-weef!! Wae!!!



Rae: Maybe I should call animal care. Maybe they’ll understand…wa…wa…nese?



Ana: (spits in the sink) Rae! I said I was brushing my teeth! What about that did you nor understand? What do you mean “wa…wa?”



Rae: Um…everything? Anyways, I take it your bored since you called me and started speaking wawanese…I mean brushing-my-teeth-ese.



Ana: I was brushing my tee—anyway…what are you doing today?



Rae: I don’t know. My mom has the car…as usual. And I doubt she’ll be home anytime soon…so…I don’t know.



Ana: Well I’m home alone, my mom’s in Texas for a month for a business trip, so my sister’s at my grandma’s. I have my bike fixed… Wanna go down to the lake and restore our muse?



Rae: Hmmm…sure! I think Chan’s down there. His Myspace status says something about water. So its either there or…his bathroom.

Ana: His bathroom…he said he writes his best sings in there…Well okay! I’m ready to go so I’ll leave when you do and we could like…I don’t know meet halfway?



Rae: I’m about ready.( looks at feet) Shoes…I need shoes. (jumps off couch and grabs her shoes from under her desk) Operation Shoes, mission accomplished! Okay, I’m ready. I just need to grab my laptop and I’ll leave.



Ana: Okay, we’’ I’ll leave now…OVER AND OUT! (makes weird staticy-spit noises and hangs up before Rae has a chance to say bye)



Rae: Ok…( hears the dialtone) ANA! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU HUNG UP ON ME!! ( stops shouting when she realizes she is talking to herself. Slams down phone) Well then…I believe its time I left. ( picks up bag and unearths laptop. She walks out the door)



The stage goes black. A second later, the right side lights up as Ana opens the door to her room and walks in.



Ana: Oops! Forgot my poptart! (she grabs it and sticks it in her mouth then slams the door and it falls over) Dang it! Stupid door broke again!



The stage goes black.

No comments:

Post a Comment

don't just sit back in silence...SAY something!



being shy gets you nowhere in life.