Sunday, August 30, 2015

♫♪ #SundaySounds: The Anti Retro Vinyls


The Anti Retro Vinyls are a 3-piece indie rock band from South Africa that I recently found out about. Long story short, my friend Salayna introduced me to Tate Sutton (a.k.a. The Glam Tramp) online, who just so happens to be their drummer! I was invited to "like" the page on Facebook and checked it out...been a fan ever since!
credit: Kiss & Tell
This band has an oldschool British rock kind of vibe to them, tons of talent and style to match...what's not to love?! It kind of like The Pink Spiders, meets The Clash, meets your mom's closet in 1985, in the best way possible. Everyone knows I have soft spot for glam. And the icing on the cake...they're super sweet to their fans!
the first song i'll show you is this one:
"If I Had Your Daddy's Money"

It's so catchy and fun, and growing up as "the poor kid," i definitely empathized with this song :) haha. It's got this odd familiarity to it, to the point that I'm 99% sure I'd heard before Tate and I became friends. Not sure where I heard it...but considering I remembered half of the words, I know I have! I watched an interview not to long ago where Greg (Allan, their singer/guitarist) said they used to go by a different name before they came up with the genius play on words that is their band name now.
Check this out if you like: Nobody Baby by The Pink Spiders
the second i'll show you is this one:
"Sex and Religion"

This song is on the other end of the spectrum, it's slower and, more importantly, unplugged. This enchanting acoustic piece preformed by Greg Allan is deep, raw, melancholy and magical...it's my favorite of them all. There is something way the lyrics match the overall tone of the guitar that really sets the mood here, I don't think anyone could deny how good it is. It reminds me a lot of my favorite band.
Check this out if you like: Song or Suicide by HIM

if you like what you hear, subscribe to their YouTube channel!
You can also find the band on SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and iTunes.


Thanks for tuning into SundaySounds, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

don't just sit back in silence...SAY something!



being shy gets you nowhere in life.